Online presence is must in this digital era that will help you reach to countless people seamlessly in just a minute. While social media is a great way for that, a personal or professional blog will do the job even more accurately while it will also add more value to your career. So, it is always suggested to create your own site if possible. And the good thing is it does not require any coding or technical knowledge. Also, no investment is required. Just devote some of your valuable time and the site will be ready to work. So, if you are into web designing and want the entire world to know about your expertise, create a WordPress website and reach to millions of people in a hassle free way.
Here is a step by step guide on how to start your own blogging platform.
Step by step process to setup blogging platform:
This is a simple 4 step process and those are:
- Select the platform
- Choose a Domain name
- Get a hosting and Install WordPress
- Configure the newly created website
The steps are elaborated here.
Step 1: Select the platform
WordPress is the ideal option for the newbies. This has a very simple installation process and moreover it is absolutely free. So, not a single penny will be spent from your bank account. Creating a blogging site on WordPress does not require any prior knowledge as well. Also there are many reasons to choose WordPress as the blogging platform if you are a newbie. This is extremely easy to install, have strong community support, it is an open source platform, availability of plenty of plugins and themes, support forum etc. are the reasons to choose WordPress over other platform. All these stuff ensures that you can build an excellent website very efficiently and smoothly to reach your aim. Once you have chosen the platform, next come the domain and hosting part. We have discussed this below.
Step 2: Choose a Domain name
The next step is to choose a domain name. This is the name of the URL actually that the visitor need to type for visiting a website. So, this is what represents the brand of your company. Also, the domain name affects the rank in search engine and it is definitely the first impression for the visitors. This is why some thought should be put into selecting the right domain name. The website can be either personal or professional. In case of a personal website you can choose the .com but if it is a professional website, the company name should be present in the domain name.
- The domain name should be concise so that it becomes easy to type while people can also remember it easily.
- Suggest a name that is catchy enough while the visitors can also remember it at the first visit.
- Also, it is good to include the keyword in the domain name for better rank in the search engine.
Step 3: Get a web hosting and Install WordPress
The next step in creating a website is to get a web hosting and then go for installing WordPress. Web hosting is actually the main service which stores files, images and content of the website and display it to the visitors. There are many web hosting services to choose from while you are required to choose from the shared hosting and managed WordPress hosting plan. But we suggest going for the Shared plan in the beginning and later on you can transfer to the Managed hosting when your website will start to grow. Here is an idea about how to get web hosting and install WordPress. We are taking the example of BlueHost here.
- First visit the website of the BlueHost and choose the right plan. Numerous options are available such as Starter, Plus and Business Pro. You can choose the basic one initially and can upgrade to other package later on if needed.
- Once selected the right package, then you need to provide a domain name and press next.
- On the next page you need to enter all your personal details, credit card details and then go ahead to complete the payment procedure. Here in the BlueHost cPanel you will notice a button that says ‘Install WordPress’. Tap on it.
- Now select if there will be either the www in your domain name or not.
- The next step is to create your Username, password and the email id for WordPress installation.
- Go ahead to install then and after successful installation you will be shown a message that ‘Your Install is complete’.
So, you have successfully installed the WordPress.
Step 4: Configure WordPress Website
At this stage you have WordPress website is ready to work but this is completely blank so you need to customize to make it look your way.
- First go to yourwbsite.com/wp-admin.
- Enter your username and password that you created during WordPress installation and log in.
- The WordPress admin menu will be then available to you at the left panel which includes: Dashboard, posts, media, appearance, comments, link, plugins, users, tools etc. Among all the options available ‘appearance’ is what let you customize the website.
Here are some ideas on how to customize the WordPress website.
- Tap on Appearance and select Themes. Click on the ‘Add new’ button at the top and select the theme to be used. You can choose from the available displayed theme while there is always option to search for a specific theme. Install the required theme and activate that.
- Next you can again customize the theme by going to appearance >Customize.
- The background of the WordPress Website can be set by again going to Appearance > Background.
- Also, if there is need to add widgets, this can be done from the Appearance section as well.
Once you have configured the website, next go for uploading blog post from Posts > add new.
So, this is how you can create a WordPress Website the most simple and quick way.